🌱 Sports Award Finalist #19+ Chop Chop Do Noodles, Not Hate
Hi everyone! It’s me, Gabriela Couvillion, your host of Le Quotidien. Keep reading for the most important things happening in town…
First, today’s weather forecast:
A little rain and a thunderstorm. High: 81 Low: 60.
Here are the top stories in Austin today:
- Ivan MelendezNo. 19 on the Texas Baseball team, was recently selected as “a semi-finalist for the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award and the NCBWA Dick Howser Trophy.” Melendez “is the Division I leader in home runs, and ranks second in batting average and RBIs.” He also “matched the program record with 28 homers this season and was named a league-record Big 12 Player of the Week five times.” On Wednesday, June 8, all finalists will be announced and voting for the winner will take place. The winner of the “44th Golden Spikes Award” will be announced “Friday, June 24 on ESPN.” (TexasSports.com)
- Sadly, “the violence against the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community that has erupted in recent years continues to occur” today. To encourage “positive connections to Asian American culture through food,” Chop Chop, in partnership with other Asian restaurants, is participating in the “Make Noodles, Not Hate” campaign. The event, which “highlights noodle dishes as something that unites us all, regardless of cuisine,” will donate $3,000 in proceeds “to the Central Texas Food Bank.” Chop Chop, “founded in Austin by Eugen Lin and Steve Har,” offers “innovative frozen street noodle products” sold through “local outlets.” For more information visit: (FOX 7 Austin)
- Recently, ZACH Theater representatives announced the cast of the musical “The Sound of Music,” which will run from June 15 to July 24” at the venue located at 202 South Lamar. Tickets for the event will start at $25 per person and will be sold at the ZACH box office. For more information, please call 512-476-0541, ext. 1 or visit zachtheatre.org, and for more event details, visit: (Broadway World)
- This year, Foley & Lardner LLP, located at 600 Congress Ave., 3000 One American Center, celebrates its 20th anniversary. The Austin office was opened in 2002 by Kim Yelkin, the office’s managing partner, who “has spent the past 20 years cultivating valuable relationships with colleagues, clients, and the Texas state government.” For more information about the company, please visit: (Foley & Lardner LLP)
- In March of this year, the documentary “Bad Axe” by “filmmaker David Siev” premiered at the Alamo Drafthouse Theater in South Lamar during South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin. Since then it has won several awards and continues to do so “at film festivals across the country”. To add to the excitement, “the film is expected to debut in theaters and on video-on-demand services later this year.” To learn more about the documentary and the filmmakers, visit: (Huron Daily Tribune)
From our sponsor:
Hey Austin… need to do something in your house? Check out our new Local Businesses in Austin feature to find the best local professionals for gardening, plumbing, house cleaning and more!
Today in Austin:
From my notebook:
- Austin Parks and Recreation Department Families, hHave you visited the new recreation and community center in Montopolis? Located at 1200 Montopolis Drive, this building offers over 33,000 square feet of new space, including a commercial kitchen, gymnasium, fitness room, computer lab, conference rooms, and educational programming areas! See on
- “The Texas Women’s Golf Team thanks the Longhorn Nation, their teammates, coaches and staff for an incredible season! Big 12 champions for the fourth time in 5 years, sixth consecutive NCAA appearance and fifth consecutive top 15 finish. Hang ’em up!” (Facebook)
- “Texas Student TV students, it’s over for our semester! Here are some pictures from our banquet we celebrated a few weeks ago. We are so grateful to our wonderful staff and all the volunteers who helped make this another great year!” (Facebook)
- “TThis week Variety Texas Fun Friday celebrates the end of the school year! Will you attend their pool party? Don’t forget to subscribe at bit.ly/FunFriday527.” (Facebook)
- “The Austin Cosmopolitan Rotary Club welcomes Jayne Whisnant of American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Read about it here.” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
All right, you’re all caught up for today. See you tomorrow morning for another update!
— Gabriela Couvillion
About me: I am a working mother of two adult sons and a lifelong resident of San Antonio. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my free time I immerse myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and please let us know if you have any news and events that our readers might enjoy!